How Would I Know if I Have a Food Sensitivity?
It is very common for people with food-related sensitivities to experience symptoms and assume that they are common place or relatively normal. This is because many of the symptoms are truly common place. At Premier Medical we believe you should be able to live life without these symptoms.
The following is a quick breakdown of symptoms that you would want to make note of when considering whether you may or may not have a sensitivity when eating certain types of food.
- Gas, Bloat and possibly Abdominal Cramping
- Diarrhea, Stomach Pain and Constipation
- Heartburn, Acid Reflux and Nausea
- Weight Gain, Water Retention and Bloat
- Headaches, Irritability and Anxiety
What is the Difference Between Food Allergies and Food Intolerances?
Most food allergies vary in severity. Depending on the person food allergies can be severe and life threatening. Most allergies with severe effects are in one of the following groups:
- Soy or Wheat
Food intolerance is not usually life threatening and can sometimes be overlooked despite causing any one or more of the symptoms listed above. The most common type of food intolerance is lactose intolerance. Lactose is a sugar found in milk and other dairy products. An intolerance to lactose means that the digestive system of the person effected is not able to digest that particular type of sugar.
Another common type of intolerance is a sensitivity to sulfites or other food additives. Sulfites can even trigger asthma attacks in some people. Here is a quick breakdown of the differences between food allergies and intolerances to review:
- Can happen suddenly and is life long
- Even the smallest amount of food can trigger
- Happens every time you eat the food and can happen by just touching the food to skin
- Can be life-threatening
- Can happen gradually and worsen over time
- Trigger can depend on the amount of food eaten
- May not happen every time you consume the food
- May be overlooked as normal
- Is not life-threatening
How Do I Find Out if I Have a Food Intolerance?
At Premier Medical our Digestive Health Specialists can help you discover if a food intolerance may be the cause of discomfort caused by symptoms associated with food intolerances. Call Us Now to Schedule a Free Consult and Learn How We Could Help You Noticeably Improve Your Life.
Disclaimer: Results may vary from person to person due to lifestyle, healthy eating, body type and dedication to the program. No individual result should be seen as typical. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.